Tuesday, June 1, 2010

best of: Dec '09 - Jan '10

I killed a bottle of Absinthe and started sifting through my past. Here's the first installment.
  • I make no small plans, but no good are big plans left unfinished. - 12/15/09
  • I'm digging new grooves in the soft clay and yet they seem so familiar. Soon they'll become ruts but of my own doing. - 12/16/09
  • Draguer is the French verb for flirt; bloguer is the French verb for blog. And here in Michigan, with a limited array of options [for the former], I can focus on the latter. - 12/17/09
  • His characters are not studied tissue by tissue as under a scientist's microscope, rather they are built up living cell by living cell out of the author's experience and imagination. - 12/18/09
  • There are still some piles destined for storage or things I just don't know what to do with yet. (and there still are) - Every week's end is another's beginning 12/20/09
  • I realized that the remote, undisclosed location is not a magic bullet (go, go, go!) but is just part of the overall solution. I still have to show up and be present. - 12/21/09
  • Time to get down with some cartography and chart a course. - 12/22/09
  • I think therefore reality exists. - 12/23/09
  • Having forgotten the "reason" for the season, I am still looking for a way to root myself, some tradition or belief that gives the holiday depth and purpose.
  • The echoes of the past seem louder and heavier this year than before. Maybe that's because I'm finally listening. So maybe soon I'll understand. - 12/27/09
  • sift for gold in a sea of crap. - 12/28/09
  • Sometimes you have to close your eyes while you type so you can see your thoughts more clearly. Sometimes you have to close your eyes while you listen to hear the music better. - 12/30/09
  • I am not my preferences. - 12/30/09
  • NYE: After 4 hours of sleep, I was wide awake and the world was spinning with possibility. And just spinning.
  • "Well do you live somewhere? 'Cause I don't." - 1/2/10
  • I managed to bring in the new year with the perfect amount of planning and surprise, leading from one brunch to another, from coffee pot to pot luck. - 1/4/10
  • Tomorrow begins tonight, but tonight began this morning. - 1/5/10
  • Daft Punk!
  • Sometimes you make your own great force in opposition to yourself. - 1/6/10
  • Even if someone else had the right answer, I wouldn't believe it until I found it myself. - 1/6/10
  • It's funny how I spend all day tweaking details and then the stuff I show you I made in like 10 minutes. - 1/6/10
  • I am learning a lot about music the old fashioned way: aurally and through imitation. - 1/8/10
  • Mad World, Va Tosca
  • In my music, I strive to create organic change. - 1/12/10
  • Off to the side of the road, I found some footsteps from days before; turns out, they were mine. And I got the silly idea to walk in them - walking in my own footsteps. I realized that it's a pretty good metaphor for what I'm doing up here. - 1/13/10
  • I've also been trying to incorporate a new thought habit into my life: when I see people, I want to see them as the complex mystery of history and interrelationships and not as a 2-dimensional automaton. - 1/13/10
  • Live each moment as if, when you die, they take a random, 15-minute sample of your waking life and use that to preserve your legacy to the universe. - 1/15/10
  • Ostensibly, no big deal. Ostensibly, it's just a thing, an object, practically immaterial. But in this case, it had become even larger as a symbol than as an object. - 1/17/10
  • I'm watching Anikan fall to the dark side; he's such a whiny crybaby. It reminds me of someone I'm getting to know all too well. (Me) - 1/18/10
  • no matter how much I pretend, I am still holding out hope for something meaningful with someone. - 1/19/10
  • That bottle didn't really contain wine, for me, but a year's worth of waiting, hoping, and disappointment. - 1/19/10
  • I'm an intensity junky. - 1/19/10
  • The things we keep we keep for our emotional attachment to them. In our Materialist culture, it's our' version of karma. - 1/19/10
  • I got emotionally drunk and then had an emotional hangover. - 1/19/10
  • [The] One thing that I love about Webern is that his entire catalog fits (as mp3s) on one CD. - 1/21/10
  • My new process is to imagine the sounds - where they should be, what instruments, the overall gesture - and then draw them. - 1/21/10
  • What goes through someone's mind when they put the entire beatles catalog on shuffle? Really? Aren't we sick of them yet? - 1/23/10
  • In moments of inactivity, our brains have better access to autobiographical information. Maybe that information is painful, so we gorge on new information to keep the old pain from coming back. - 1/26/10
  • This was tut-tutted by the U of C crowd... - 1/26/10
  • The process by which you create reveals itself in the final product, so to really invent something new, you have to invent a new process. - 1/27/10
  • And then Live crashed some more and made me sad. - 1/28/10
  • I'm rediscovering the image that I had of what I am trying to do: some sort of mix-up, mash-up, covers, originals, electronics, live performers. - 2/3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment