Wednesday, December 23, 2009

a day in the life

I talked to my mom today. Turns out Christmas is Friday and I should go home tomorrow. I would be content to stay one more day and make it a full week up here; I'm building momentum.

My mom requested that I talk less about philosophy and more about my life. To be fair, I didn't really say anything specific; I was really just padding the post with content, for I didn't have much in the way of excitement yesterday. So, just quickly, I think it's interesting how Kant, Baudrillard, Richard Bach, The Secret, and the Matrix all have the same thing in common: reality exists in your mind. I think therefore reality exists.


I especially like the way the woman in the video flinches when she says "simulacrum".

So my life today: set an alarm, got up early, planned on planning but took a spontaneous constitutional to the lake, wanted to stop in at the corner market, didn't, coffee, got right to work, focused, intense, curried oatmeal at 11, more coffee (caffeine doesn't affect me as much as it used to), started a new atonal piano piece, improvised a fantastic ending, finished a project (finally!), recorded an improvisation (see below), dinner.

I did make the following plans: apply (again) to Bang on a Can Festival, apply for a CAAP to make a website, finish this new piano piece for a competition in January. Really soon, I need to look at other festivals.

Tomorrow I leave the cottage for the weekend and won't return until the middle of next week, possibly not until after New Years.

I had wanted to give you (and the world) some sort of music from time to time, but that hasn't materialized in a real way. So I did a little improvisation and took video with the Mac. For some reason the video stopped partway through, so I had to fudge it. The sound I was recording in Ableton Live using some shmancy Steinway. I usually use the Bechstein; the Steinway is a little bright. Now if only my keyboard had a better feel and sensitivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment