Saturday, June 5, 2010

where i lay my head

In wrapping up this stage of my life, I thought it would be nice to pay homage to some of the perks and disadvantages of crashing with friends.

Right now, I'm staying in Nicole's while she is out of town. Having keys is a perk. Living on the 14th floor provides good views but adds a couple minutes in the elevator to the commute.

She definitely has one of the best showers.


She has internet, but it's flaky. But since it's a huge apartment building, there are 20 other wifis around; only two don't require passwords.

Unlike the other high-rises around, this one has a pool in which I went swimming today. It's not big enough to get a good workout in, but I went back and forth a couple dozen times, tread some water, and did some vertical kicking.


And then there's the unexpected. Nicole had told me how she went to IML last weekend; I had actually tried to go too but couldn't find it. (I had 2 hours to kill between bike tours.) IML is international man of leather and is primarily a gay leatherfest. Knowing all this, I was a little less surprised to see this calendar appear on the wall.


Do you like that egg shape I added? The gayest I felt was digitally altering the photo to hide the pen15. When I first noticed it, I was startled but in the hours and days that followed, I hardly even notice it. I think that's a decorative whip of some sort hanging next to it.

Speaking of gay, I read today that most homophobia grows out of homosexual desires that are perceived as repulsive and repressed: "there is a growing body of research that supports the notion that homophobia in some men could be a reaction to their own homosexual impulses." Looks like homophobia is uncool. Especially if you believe what Glee says. They (apparently) make homophobia look like something expressed by stupid bully jocks, casting it in a negative light. Some douchey conservative guy (who, at this point is still repressing the shit out of his homosexual urges, unlike some people...) thinks it's unbalanced, promoting a pro-gay anti-homophobe message. Um, duh? It's a show about musicals or something.

Although it is interesting that it's on Fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment