Wednesday, February 3, 2010

jazzy bluesy nine inch nails

There was a time in high school that a friend derided a guy for describing some band - maybe God Lives Underwater - as "jazzy bluesy nine inch nails". I kind of like the aural image that gives me.

I've kept up with the yoga all week. Yesterday I even did a free 40-minute workout from "On Demand". And, I haven't mentioned it yet, but I've been off coffee during the last two weeks. Just tea - black in the morning and green in the afternoon. Then, on the weekends, which for me I consider starting on Friday, I can have my reward. Classical music is all about delayed gratification, which is why I'm not really one of them. Stuck in the middle.

I am, somehow, developing yet another variation on my daily routine. This week, I've been blogging in the morning and going to bed way too late. Last night, I actually worked on a mash-up type thing until 1 or so (CST). This morning, I got up late and am writing words before I go make music. I'm rediscovering the image that I had of what I am trying to do: some sort of mix-up, mash-up, covers, originals, electronics, live performers. Especially if its for performance, the more covers the better. And if they're "original covers" even better.

Let me try to be more specific: electronics providing bass lines, drums, and ephemerals; acoustic instruments providing rhythms and accompaniment through repetitive melodic motives; melodies growing out of this; maybe vocals; samples and remixing done on the computer. I like the idea of starting with a cover but fusing it into an original - or vice versa. Or starting with a mash-up and then morphing it into something else. Like I did yesterday. I'm putting it up on the web presently; just finished uploading. Turns out it's 20 minutes long! Oops. The first 5 or 8 are really good; I lose focus somewhere in the middle. (I created this on the spot, triggering loops and affecting them on the fly.) See if you can pick out any of the samples. Click to listen.

I didn't leave the house yesterday, so I should probably take a walk this afternoon. It snowed a bit more, but it seems like wet snow - the kind that slides off your car before the day is done.

I got some new plug-ins for my PhotoBooth app on my laptop. I'm seeing myself in all sorts of new ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment