Wednesday, January 27, 2010

closing the doors

I'm concretizing. I have a good mental image of what I am looking for, so now it's just a matter of figuring out a method to realize it. The process by which you create reveals itself in the final product, so to really invent something new, you have to invent a new process. My process has always been multi-faceted, and I like it that way: generally, a piece (a composed piece, not those improvised electronic tracks I've been laying down) is born through discovery - whether by improvisation, imagination, or concept - and then goes through an assembly process during which it goes through each of those stages and/or many more. However you generate and develop the ideas is not important; what matters is how you choose among them, separate the wheat from the chaff and then stitch it all together.

I've mostly been working on the orchestra piece, even making some marks on paper. I didn't get too far. I realized, through writing, that my mental image wasn't clear enough. Sometimes only by trying things out can you see that they're not what you want. I then tried improvising, just to get a sense of the first couple bars. That gave me some good ideas but still needs some polishing. I have a new concept, by the way. I've gone through several. I should know better than to talk about it before it's cemented. This one, I think, is a keeper, but just to be sure I'll keep it a secret till it gets more fleshed out.

I took a walk down to the lake. All the floating ice floes are gone, leaving only the two ice ridges. The lake looked soupy, thick.

I also went to the corner shops to pick up some food. My two friends Laura and Ashleigh combined influence led me to buy Chicken Bou-ya. Ashleigh put a couple cubes in with rice to make it tasty; Laura has a huge jug of it that so she can have soup broth whenever she wants. Now I have broth, and I put it in my dinner rice.

That's about all. I made some electronic loop music, but it's just ok. If you haven't heard the one with the guitar solo at the end, you should listen to it now.

Oh, and before I forget, I came to the conclusion that I should close some doors to the past - after an appropriate grieving, of course. So that's my personal goal this week. I wish I had real photos to burn now that I have a fireplace in which to burn them. Preparation for the future, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment