Tuesday, March 9, 2010

on silent haunches

I'm still adjusting to my new life. It's like my composition teacher used to say: some things change, some stay the same. Hopefully, for me now, that is: the unimportant things are open to change, revealing the core that is immutable. Really, though, it's all open to change, just to varying degrees. Like a weather balloon tethered to the earth, we blow in the wind. Everything from the balloon down the tether is wandering with the wind, except for the one spot that is anchored. Like an inverted pendulum.

Speaking of nonsense, I saw Alice in Wonderland last night--in 3D. Pretty good. But I came out feeling almost drunk or stoned or something. It was like being in a hyperreal dream. Worth seeing if your visual cortex can handle that much stimulation. Made me feel a little like I was in Clockwork Orange. I could look away but I couldn't.

And on the way back, the fog was cold and thick. My glasses were all fogged up just from riding in it. Nice that I had my lights and there wasn't much traffic.

I'm back into Lost, Season 3. I am appreciating this time away from work and regularity because it allows me to observe how various factors have an affect on my well-being. Too much Lost makes it difficult to work on music; I sit and think and try things out but nothing comes. I think Lost and movies like Alice work out different muscles than music writing requires. Good muscles to have--and in me they're just now getting a good workout--but contrary to what I'm trained to do. Still finding balance by exploring the extremes.

Good news. I just got an email from Bang on a Can. I'm an alternate. Which is better than last year. I'll know yea or nay on March 30.

And if you're in Chicago, you should check out the Sound of Silent Film tomorrow (Wed) and next week (3/10, 3/17). I wrote a quick explanation to it on Beyond Words. Thanks to all those who visited yesterday's post. Hits will one day equal money.

No comments:

Post a Comment