Sunday, March 28, 2010

good and evil

This weekend, my last moments in Chicago for the next week, has been about recuperation and Lost. I've watched all but 3 episodes of season 5 in the past few days--am hoping to finish tonight. Yesterday, I felt slightly ill all day from the night before, so it was just about all I could do. I'm not sure how I got so drunk; I guess that's what I get for hanging out with homebrewers--was out of my league.

And in the nearly 11 hours of Lost, I realized that this show is just as much about the post-9-11 age as 24. I never got into 24, but from what I know about it, they're similar shows. The major difference is that in 24 you always know who's good and who's evil--the Fox News version of the world. In Lost, you think you know, but then are turned around so many times, that it becomes clear that: there's more than just 2 sides, the sides are nested, creating internal conflicts, and none of the sides are wholly good or evil. 24 seems more about the outmoded worldview, while Lost is perhaps a prescient view of the future.

Somewhere around episode 5 yesterday, I finally at some food.

And somewhere in between episodes 9 and 10, I went to Sarah's going away party as she heads of to NYC with a 3-month layover in Cali to meditate and do yoga.

I'm hoping to finish tonight so I can get on with my life.

I had flashes of brilliance towards the end of the week, am hoping to continue tomorrow once re-ensconced in the simplicity of Michigan.

You say fail; I say win.

No comments:

Post a Comment