Friday, February 12, 2010

ü

Ultimately, it's all about balance. I was in search of motivation all week, thinking that it was somewhere inside. Instead, I found that it also lies outside. To move forward, I need to balance out the inside and outside. I enjoy creating music for its own sake, but that gets old after a while. So I need to keep my audience in mind, imagining the performance, the moment what's going on in the Self comes out to interact with the Other.

The Übermensch generally gets a bad rap. Nietzsche recognized the inherent danger in the concept and so balanced it out with the idea of eternal return - to prevent against a dangerous slide into nihilism. Nietzsche's concept is more of a thought experiment, imagining that the universe repeats itself in exactly the same way an infinite number of times. Whatever choices you make today (or made yesterday) are permanent for now and for all time. Accepting the burden of this weight requires the strength of a superman.
I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water. I see the Übermensch as being internally motivated, self-confident and powerful - good, but only when in moderation. But, to prevent against collapsing in on itself, like a black hole, there need to be external factors keeping it balanced. Like performing.

No comments:

Post a Comment