Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturn's Day

It's amazing how Saturdays feel different even though I'm still at the cabin. Must be in my head; I know I'm headed back to Chicago this afternoon.

Yesterday, I O.D.'d on coffee and went a little stir crazy. So I took a couple trips out: to get oatmeal in the afternoon and then back to the bar for a beer and to watch the olympics. And somehow in between, I finished off season 2 of Lost. My mind was not in the right space for music, despite my best efforts, so after a couple hours of trying, I gave up.

At this rate, I'll be on schedule to watch the end of season 6, the series finale, on May 23.

It's funny: a couple weeks or a month ago, I was trying to practice looking deeper into people, strangers, imagining the strange chain of events that led someone to this moment, trying to imagine what their childhood would have looked like, which kid they would be in an elementary school. And now, Lost is helping me realize that dream. With all the flashbacks helping explain the characters' histories, it paints a more 3D picture of each of the characters, making it more all the more upsetting when they kill them off.

Music: Yesterday, I thought I could whip up an arrangement of a song I'd like to cover. But I couldn't. I came up with some ideas but nothing concrete. I think this next phase is going to be me concretizing more and inventing less. I'm getting the notation software fired up; I just need to get back in the groove.

Here's a piece by one of my favorite composers, David Lang. [He's part of Bang on Can in NYC.]

No comments:

Post a Comment