Tuesday, February 2, 2010

the new now

Strange days. I was in Chicago for Saturday night. Spent the day writing a song that I'm debating whether or not to post. It's a rough sketch but really only needs some polishing. That's how I like to do things: 1 concentrated fury of activity. Once I figure out what I'm trying to say, I just want to get it out.

I didn't have much in the way of plans for the weekend, but I really wanted to have a break from last week. But no one was using the house, so I stuck around Friday night (being alone in the woods is inherently less lonely than being alone in a city full of people) and most of the day Saturday (writing the song, which I've decided to post and is uploading), driving back Saturday night to go to a concert - that I caught wind of in an email I got that morning. Sometimes plans just materialize. It was my former cellist Michelle's boyfriend's band, which also featured a friend of my dad's family who I barely knew. Small world.

Sunday was a more action-packed day: brunch with Amos to listen to his orchestra piece, for which I had a lot of really good criticisms; then straight to lunch with the parents at a Greek place in Greek town; then to Darick's for scones. I helped him carry 8 feet of plywood for a life-size portrait he's making of a famous, nearly 8-foot, wrestler. But I'll keep it a secret. Well, here's a hint. Actually, that's a terrible hint. But in looking for a more obvious image, I reconnected a lot of what I had forgotten about Shepard Fairey. Apparently, the Giant has a posse. But now it's Obama's posse. [Darick, by the way, is friends with the guy who made the "I'm with COCO" image, which resulted in nearly a million fans on Facebook, a trip to the show, tens of thousands of dollars in t-shirt and poster sales, protests at the NBC headquarters and whatever may come in the future. Crazy how that shit happens overnight.]

So then to Trader Joe's, which was a mess of a mess of a nightmare, trapped in a cage with rats. But I was pretty chill, despite the lines of 15 to 20 people; they said it was even worse than the holidays and passed out chocolate to people in line. No one knew why it was so busy; week before the super bowl maybe? I wisely avoided the parking lot altogether, parking on the street and walking in. Afterward, I spent the same amount as I did on groceries on a bottle of Macallan's. I had had some a couple weekends ago with my friend Nicole and really liked it. I had some last night after my phone conversation with the medical intuitive who told me I need to sit up straighter - to sit on my sits bones.

Here's the song I wrote on Saturday. It's part of my own personal zeitgeist: saying goodbye to the past, killing it with my song.

I did yoga both this morning and yesterday. It's my thing this week to try to do it every day. I wanted to pick something easy that I could commit to doing, starting with small goals and working up.

It's snowing up here, not hard but enough to recover the ground - which was looking almost bare in some parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment