Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Top 10 of '10 #6

6) #1 Meal: Birthday dinner at Longman & Eagle
I almost picked the dinner at the Gage with Lisa, which I remember being really good... but I can't remember what I actually ate there. Some sort of fish, some sort of good beer. At Longman, I had a gathered a small group (Corbett, Grace, Laura, Joe, Anna) out to celebrate the end of my 31st year, and I remember exactly what I had. Well... except for the appetizer, which was really good but fuzzy in my recollection. I had a sour beer--some sort of Belgian concoction, like a Lambic or something (something about a Duchesse, possibly from Burgundy?)--that complemented the pork belly like peanut butter complements Marshmallow Fluff®. (According to popular legend.) And I think there was dessert. Ok, so I was probably paying more attention to the group symbiosis than the food itself. In fact, in both situations, I think I was more concerned with the human energy than the tastiness of the food. Which is probably the opposite of what you or I might have assumed.

[Maybe I'm getting older (i.e., mature) but I am noticing the taste of food less and less, thinking more about how it feels and, often, how it makes me feel. That could be why I love going to Kuma's. It doesn't make me feel good, necessarily, but it tastes good and feels good going down. It completes you and gives you the ability (and the necessity) to get on the bike and ride for a couple thousand calories.]


No comments:

Post a Comment