Monday, January 3, 2011

Top 10 of '10 #10

I am typically a little fuzzy on the concept of a guilty pleasure.  People talk about certain pop songs, certain tv shows, and certain movies with a certain embarrassment.  Fortunately for me, I am neither embarrassed by my own tastes nor by the tastes of my friends.  (Which may be the precise reason why they're my friends.)

But as I was getting swept up in the end-of-2010 top 10 lists, I realized I was feeling pleasure.  And then I felt guilty.  [Maybe guilty pleasures, in general, come from our American brand of puritanical revulsion at the indulging our fleshy pleasures.]

So I came up with my own list.  

Top 10 #1s from Top 10 lists of 2010:

10) #1 Documentary: Scott Walker: 30th Century Man
I was going through the movies I've watched on Netflix this year and totally forgot about this one.  Somehow it came to me like in a dream: I watched it at Darick's right around the time (before or after) my friend Ryan I. exposed me to his music at a party.  It was like synchronicity.  Or happenstance.  It made Scott Walker seem like a über-talented musician with a visionary/artistic process.  I have since tried to get into his music but find it difficult: on the logic-intuition continuum it is on a different side than I.  It'll probably grow on me like some sort of acquired taste.

Scott Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment