Friday, May 28, 2010

meta-post

I never had a blog before this one; it's been an interesting journey for both myself and my family and friends.

Some of you I never see in real life, so reading the blog is the only real insight you have into my boho life. But for friends, like Laura, and family, like my mom, the blog sometimes becomes something more than just a record of my activities: it becomes part of the discussion, part of the activities. If I'm writing about what I'm doing, and what I'm doing involves talking about the blog, then shouldn't I be writing about what I'm talking about what I'm writing about?

Firstly, it creates a slight imbalance in a relationship. Unless you have a blog that I follow (and unless you update it on a regular basis), then you have more of an insight into the day-to-day fluctuations. Ironically, people like Rob and Sarah (probably not the Sarah you're thinking of; she used to be a regular reader but is now doing yoga in California), the only two of my readers who have blogs, don't live nearby and so the balance is more equal. With my mom, however, I'll either start telling her something I've already written about in the blog--I hate telling the same story twice to the same person--or I'll have exhausted a story by writing about it and not want to talk about it any more.

I think the strangeness ultimately is most apparent to the other person involved; I sometimes forget that other people read this, so much it feels like a journal.

Secondly, it's forced me to categorize my life: there are some things that are blog-worthy but not conversation worthy; there are others that I would talk about but would never put in writing--certainly not for the whole world to read; and then there are those rare moments that are so unique, such good stories, that they merit a written description as well as a live, in-the-flesh narrative performance.

I've been reading through some of my old posts (so now I'm writing about reading what I wrote long ago; it's a vicious cycle), and, through reading other personal blogs, I've realized some things that make a good post. Recently, for instance, I've been trying to keep each post to one topic, one story. Maybe that means I post several times in a day (when my life is particularly exciting); some days I shouldn't post at all. The posts (of mine) that I find the most loathsome are the ones that just present a laundry list of things I've done. Sometimes, how those things fit together IS the story; sometimes it's just unfocused drivel.

I've also learned that pictures really help make a post more readable. I just am usually too lazy.

I've also learned a lot about storytelling from LOST (which people in real life are getting sick of hearing about)--like how to tie together a complicated story, full of tangents and create an overall structure. Stay tuned for more sepia-toned flashbacks.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I should comment since you mentioned me.

    I have observed much of the oddities of blogging you mention. Though since I see so few people in real life now, I guess I am on more equal footing with everyone. Though still a little surprised when someone starts a conversation with me about something I posted.

    I am also surprised at how much I think it is helping my writing...at least keeping it from falling into something unusable while I work in a non-English environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rob - a mention gets a comment.

    I started to blog as a journal. I never thought I'd have readers other than a friend from Louisiana who encouraged me to start it in the first place so she could keep up with what I was doing when I moved away. I've told exactly 3 people that I have a blog. I liked the idea of writing to the great void. I had thoughts that were too big for just me to hold on to. Being thrust into singlehood I just needed to talk to something besides the walls. We all want witnesses to our lives. I blogged anonymously almost - not putting pictures of myself on until more recently. The blog became my place.

    "...then there are those rare moments that are so unique, such good stories, that they merit a written description as well as a live, in-the-flesh narrative performance."

    I loved that line. Well done. That's how I prefer to both tell and listen to stories - when they are performed.

    ReplyDelete