Thursday, April 8, 2010

It's another cold, damp day here in Michigan. The bushes in front of the house are apparently called forsythia and are blooming; the magnolia tree down the block is preggers with potential. I know what magnolia are from the movie.

Yesterday was a sisyphean day that ended on a high note (figuratively). I've been working on music for my grandma's funeral next weekend and have been struggling. I've come up with several 1/2-baked ideas that then appear infeasible or inappropriate by the next day. Last night, after working in one direction all day, I changed tacks yet again. (That metaphor is also good for writing music--sailing: sometimes tacking into the wind, sometimes going with it.) Around dinner, I had a beer and made a fire--one of the best of each I've had in a while. The beer I bought up here in Michigan, wanting to get something local but not wanting to resort to the ubiquitous Bell's. I got this beer from Ypsilanti from the Dark Horse brewery called "Amber Ale." And despite the lackluster name (or because of it), it was fantastic. I asked my homebrewer friend Russ about it, who said that Dark Horse is one of his favorite breweries. I vaguely remembered a post he did about the brewery on his homebrew blog. Turns out, the funeral is in Detroit, which is close to Ypsilanti.

So after the beer and the fire, I got back to the tiny room at the back of the house with a glass of scotch. And I think I found the right mood. We'll see how I feel today. I'm generally not a fan of drinking and writing, but sometimes your mind gets into a negative feedback loop, for which a nip of something alcoholic provides the appropriate escape.

So I felt like I was neglecting Netflix and so made a little quality time with me and the limitless stream. First, Arrested Development. So good. I hadn't seen any in years but could watch the whole thing all over again. Then, per suggestion from several friends and random encounters, Dexter. What? A show about a serial killer? He's more than just a serial killer, he's also a forensic cop who does blood evidence work. I agree with the people on Facebook: there should be a dislike button. Even if it weren't practically midnight, I would have found the show disgusting and revolting, from the surgical murder in the opening scene, to the discovery of dismembered parts, to the quick clip of a rape in an internet video, and on to to the next murder. No thanks.

So to cleanse the mental palette before bed, I turned to South Park. That shows just how horrible Dexter is. And the next one in line was about Cartman using his "psychic" powers to catch a serial killer. Geez, I can't win. So I watched the next one too, about the Woodland Critters Christmas special, which is making me laugh out loud right now as I type. Heilige Sheise. To sum it up: Stan discovers woodland critters about to celebrate Christmas and does their bidding until he realizes that they are about to bring forth the spawn of Satan and implant it in a human host. Watch it if you have 20 minutes. Even though it's not Christmas. Actually, it's probably better to watch this episode when it's NOT Christmas--even remotely.

Finally, sleep. And now to see if what I came up with yesterday is any good.

3 comments:

  1. I understand the issue with blood and such on Dexter, but if you can get past that I think you might enjoy some of the morality play as you get deeper into the show. A lot of the good-bad bad things you saw in Lost are front and center in Dexter - they just use more blood, swearing, and nudity since it is a cable show. I don't know how you can turn the traditional morality discussion more on its head than by trying to get you to root for a serial killer.

    I think it is interesting to see how they try to use Dexter's psychopathic lack of emotion to logically examine the merits of good and bad. A lot of examination of the family network also.

    I found it funny that you would try to cleanse the shock and awe with cartoon shock and awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True: live-action shock is more shocking than animated shock in almost every instance. Even when the animation shows a set of woodland critters having interspecies intercourse with the blood of a sacrificial bunny as lubrication.

    The issues with Dexter are amplified by the fact that I'm not really looking for a new addiction. The Lost fix came from out of nowhere, grabbed me by the balls and dragged me through a series of wormholes, leaving me twisted around and upside down. It was a fun ride but not necessarily one I need to take more than once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally understand the idea of controlled addictions.

    I was just listening to a Fresh Air with the South Park guys and they described part of the inspiration of Cartman as trying to put Archie Bunker back on TV, but the only way it could exist today is as child since you can fall back on - "but he's only 8".

    ReplyDelete